The trial is led by the Axbridge Action Group, who are an independent community organisation made up of Axbridge residents who have been meeting together since 2001. The project is sponsored by Axbridge Community Partnership, and its member organisations.
Axbridge Community Partnership includes representatives from Axbridge Town Council, Axbridge Town Trust, Axbridge Chamber of Commerce, and Axbridge Action Group, as well as Sedgemoor District Council and Somerset County Council, alongside other local organisations. They have agreed the goal:
“To improve Axbridge by making its streets more pedestrian friendly and slowing the transit of vehicles through it”.
In the long term the plan is to involve all areas of the town. In the short term a trial will take place in the square, starting in the Spring of 2015.
Phase One of The Trial will see temporary changes to The Square:
- Additional seating in two locations:
1. Near to the bus stop, where a second bench will be positioned.
2. Outside the Alms House for their customers and other visitors to the town.
- Two more large planters.
- More bike racks.
- Changes to car parking direction on the North side of the square.
- Four less parking spaces to allow for more pedestrian space.
- A pedestrian link through the centre of the square, connecting the West and East side of the Square.